We all have those days. The days when EVERYTHING goes wrong. I had one of those days today. The days that feel like it’s raining and it’ll never stop. I always think of this song…
This song, which was featured in, “Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid,” always helps remind me the rain will go away eventually. Most importantly, “The blues they send to meet me won’t defeat me. It won’t be long ’till happiness steps up to greet me.” If B.J. Thomas isn’t enough to bring a smile to your face, there are other ways too.
Here are five things to try when you have those “rainy” days:
- Try to keep smiling! So you’re having a bad day…frowning is not going to make it any better. Smiles are contagious and they might just be enough to turn your day around.
- Play your favorite music. I love music! On a day when nothing is going right I crank my favorite songs on my iPhone and just jam. It makes me feel better, even if it’s just for a few minutes.
- Vent it out! Find someone to talk to. Let off some steam! You’ll feel better if you get a little of the bad off of your chest.
- Laugh! Laugh, laugh, laugh! Find something funny and laugh as hard as you can. It’ll make a big difference. Sometimes, you might even be able to laugh about the horrible stuff happening.
- Get away! Go shopping, go home, take a nap, watch a movie, read a book, or anything else…just try to escape whatever is bothering you. Taking yourself out of the situation will make you feel better and help you think more clearly. It honestly works magic.
If none of this works you could always try “singin’ in the rain.”
Gene Kelly had it right and this video puts a smile on my face every time I watch it. I remember the first time I watched it. I was a little girl, and I thought he was the coolest guy in the entire world. I still dream of dancing in the rain, twirling and umbrella, and splashing in puddles.
Between B.J. Thomas and Gene Kelly, rainy days don’t keep me down very long. What about you?
Do you have anything that you do on those awful days? Send me a comment or tweet @Blairblu.
^ “Audio Single: Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head – B.J. Thomas (October 1969)”. Youtube. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
Singin’ in the Rain. Dir. Gene Kelly and Stanley Donen. Perf. Gene Kelly, Donald O’Connor, and Debbie Reynolds. MGM, 1952. Film